Wednesday, October 21, 2015

IMRaD Report

There are some significant differences between the IMRaD Report and the argument based research papers that I have written in the past.  One of the major differences is that for the IMRaD report I have to gather the research myself.  I am required to conduct an experiment or a survey to acquire the data I will use.  In the papers that I have written in the past, I usually gathered that sort of data from outside sources, and did not acquire my own data.  By acquiring my own data, I give this report more credibility by referencing results that I obtained myself.  Along with the data I gather, there is a different way of presenting it that is different than a normal research paper.
Another major difference is that in this report I will have to present the data in the paper.  The IMRaD report requires me to use graphs and chars in the paper and reference them throughout my writing.  In my past writings, I have never included charts and  graphs in the actual paper.  I may have referenced a fact that I found from a chart, but I would not include the entire chart in my paper.  These charts and graphs allow the audience to better follow along with the point you are attempting to make.
I think that last major difference is the format that this report will be in.  In my past classes, I would write in a typical format: introduction, body, and conclusion.  I did not use headings, nor did I have separate sections included in my paper.  In the IMRaD report, I am supposed to use different sections such as introduction, methods, results, and discussion.  These main ideas may have been presented in my last papers, but they were not displayed in this sort of format.  This also allows the reader to follow along more easily.  There are many ways to break down this information, and this allows the reader to be able to find the information they are looking for much faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment