Monday, October 26, 2015

Research Questions/Economists sell bagels

My first research question is: Does birth order play a role in academic success?  The way in which I plan to research this is a survey.  In this survey I will ask my fellow classmates a few things.  One would be where they fall in their family in terms of age.  Are they first born, a middle child, or the last born?  Then I would ask questions that would indicate academic success.  Examples of these questions would be: What was your high school GPA? What is your expected college GPA?  What was your ACT score?  I could then also ask question about if their siblings did better or worse than they personally did.  Based on this data I should be able to draw a conclusion on if birth order plays a role in how academically successful the person is.
My second research question is: Is the freshmen fifteen real?  I would also use a survey to investigate this question.  I would ask a variety of questions regarding weight, diet, exercise, etc.  Some of the questions would be: Have you gained any weight since leaving for college? Do you consider yourself to eat a healthy diet? How often do you exercise?  I would investigate my fellow classmates again, considering they are all first semester freshmen.  Based on this data I could analyze if the freshmen fifteen was real, how many people this affects, and what factors play a part of gaining weight in college.

There are some similarities and differences between the two readings we had to do.  Some similarities are that both of the writings are analyzing something and presenting their data.  The main difference that comes between these two writings is how they present their data.  In Freakonomics, the results are merely explained, and very little evidence is given on how they managed to obtain these results.  Also, in Freakonomics the research was not done by the authors.  They are using evidence that was gathered from a different experiment.  In Economists sell bagels, the data was presented much more effectively.  This writing supported the claims they made with concrete evidence and provided charts and graphs to help the reader understand the data that is given.

No comments:

Post a Comment